What's going on at The Life Nomadic?

5/31/07

Norway

There are no two places that contrast each other more than Oslo and Delhi. For all of Delhi's chaos, Oslo had order, for Delhi's trash, Oslo had cleanliness, for Delhi's affordability Oslo was priced out of my range. Just as a comparison, in Oslo, a combo meal at McDonalds will set you back nearly $12.00. I couch-surfed Oslo the first night there. Couch Surfing can be fun, but it's definitely a trade off. You get to stay with someone for free, learn things about the place you're in from a true local, and best of all meet someone new but on the downside is that people who host couch-surfers are usually the lonely type and will make you feel obligated to listen to things you may have no interest in. If, perchance, you couch surf with someone who has common interests, this would be great, but if you don't care to spend your evening hearing about the finer points of feline health, you may be in for a long night. The person who I couch-surfed with was very kind, generous, hospitable and friendly, and I thank her for showing me around and giving me some pointers on what to do in Oslo. One of the highlights was a visit to the Fram museum. The Fram is the ship that Roald Amundsen sailed to the McMurdo sound and launched his historic journey to become the first person to reach the South Pole.

I also went to the Viking Ship museum.

And spent a few days skiing in Lillehammer
All-in-all I enjoyed Norway. I would like to go back someday and get to the northern part to hang out with the Laplanders.

No comments: