What's going on at The Life Nomadic?

5/29/07

The Taj Mahal

No trip to India would be complete without a visit to the Taj Mahal. But wait, back up a couple of posts: I was sick of being in India. The craziness had taken its toll on me, however, I did feel a little bit good about having learned how to play the game. The cab driver from the airport to my hotel (a few days earlier) received a tip that was larger than the cab fare. This wasn't for his superior service but rather my own celebration of learning how to play the game. India can be fun once you have it figured out. But, I really was tired of it all. On the way to the "special white man train ticket office" I was told all kinds of things about how the ticket office had closed, burnt down, under construction...everything. They do this because they would rather sell you a ticket at a higher price and get the commission. I knew better and didn't fall for it, but it gets tiresome. Anyhow, I got my train ticket for the trip to Agra and the Taj.

A musician at one of the mosques


The next morning, I got up in plenty of time to get a ride to the train station. I have a habit of leaving early for things on the off chance that something goes wrong on the way I won't be late. Today this paid off. The auto-rickshaw that I was riding in got a flat tire and one of the studs was broken off so the driver couldn't get the old tire off. He kept assuring me that it would be "just five minutes", I finally bailed on him and flagged a new ride down and got to the train station just in the nick of time.








The trains in India are just like out of the movies. People hanging out of windows and doors. Pandemonium. On the ride to Agra, I was seated next to an Indian land surveyor. It was as if I had my own personal tour guide.

Nobody can truly call themselves a traveller if they haven't used a toilet on an Indian train

On arrival to Agra, I booked a tour that would take me to the three main attractions near Agra (Fatah Pasikri (sp?), the red fort and the Taj Mahal) and have me back at the train station in time for my return trip to Delhi. It turned out to be a fast paced tour, with very little time at the attractions and a stop at the special tourist restaurant for an extremely (by Indian standards) overpriced lunch.



I'm really not motivated enough to write much more about the Taj Mahal. It's worth seeing if you ever get to that part of the world.

No comments: