What's going on at The Life Nomadic?

6/29/07

Tipping: Just some unorganized thoughts (rant)

Service workers don't deserve 20% just by virtue of being service workers. In fact, they don't deserve anything just because they have taken a job that pays less than minimum wage, this isn't my problem. In fact, I don't think they deserve 20% even if they do their job. I'm only tipping 20% if I leave happy, you've gotta really earn it to get 20%. Mediocre service deserves, at best, 10%. Less than mediocre service deserves squat. Furthermore, if your job is pulling a tap handle, you aren't entitled to $1 each time you pull it. That's not service. Want a tip? Get to know what kind of beer I'm drinking...see, I'm not a pain-in-the-ass type who asserts my individuality by ordering some stupid drink trying to see if I can stump you, I'm there to enjoy a cold beer, I'm not going to cause you any trouble and I don't expect much, but I do expect you to take a second, acknowledge my presence and get what I've asked for. If you do this, and do it consistently and well, I will reward it generously but I won't tip by the drink.....ever.

Mr. Pink approves.

No comments: